Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Update from Changsha

We are having a horrible time with our internet here and have not been able to make very many updates.  We met Asher on the 10th, and yesterday, on the 11th, we legally became his parents!  It's all very overwhelming and different than I thought it would be.  He is cute as all get out, but we definitely have a lot of work cut out for us.  When he is happy, it's amazing.  He has the best laugh and his whole face lights up!  But, he is also hitting, kicking, headbutting, and spitting when he is angry.  We have several fits like these every day.  Sometimes they don't last long, sometimes we have to hold him down so he won't hurt us.  Yesterday he slammed his head into my cheek and I look like I've been in a fight!

He is also fully not potty trained and has some difficulty feeding himself with a spoon.  We knew there were be things that would be different than we thought and we knew it would be hard, but this stay in Changsha has put us to the test.

I am SO incredibly thankful for Jon and Avery being here.  They have both been such a help and support for me.  Avery is a little mommy and is always eager to help.  Even when Asher hits her she says "It's ok mommy, it didn't hurt." and she goes right on caring for him.  Jon has been my rock.  He has held me when I cry and reminded me that God knew all these things about Asher, and he picked us to be his parents for a reason.  He reminds me that it is harder here because we are away from our family and friends, our support.  He is so good with Asher and Asher responds much better to Jon when he is having a fit.

Please know it's not all bad and scary, but I'm trying to be open and honest about our journey.  This is real life, and although adoption is often made to seem like a fairy tale where everyone falls in love instantly and lives happily ever after, that just isn't true.  This little boy was abandoned at 6mo. old, has been moved between the orphanage and different foster families, has had no schooling or therapy, and has not had the consistency of a forever family.  He is smart and I see so much potential in him.  God has called us to a hard journey, but I also know it will be a beautiful one as well.  God is faithful and He sustains.

We are anxious to leave Changsha and move on to Guangzhou where there will be many American adopting families staying at our hotel.  We will have a little more free time and hope to see some sights and shop a little.  We are very homesick and anxious to get home, but also remember this feeling we have will likely be what Asher feels once we are home.

Your prayers are much appreciated!  I will leave you with some pictures of the good stuff :)
















1 comment:

  1. It's all normal, Mama. You didn't pick a lemon. Ha. What this will all teach you is to trust God in a crazy-deeper way.
    http://openheartsopenhands.blogspot.com/2014/06/obligatory-educational-post.html

    ReplyDelete